Friday, February 11, 2011

BFF's forever...well, at least for another 11 years

Emelia told me I was her "best friend in the whole wide world" this morning. Enter melting heart! I mean, why wouldn't I be her best friend?! I am the only female, besides Alice, she sees everyday; I can decipher her Emelia-ese; she pees in front of me; I wipe her tushie; I feed her; I play with her; I listen to her crazy tales that she tells through "interpretive conversation"; and I make up and sing silly songs with her. Need I go on?

But then I began to think of the relationship from another point of view...she is also one of my best friends! I thought it sounded a little crazy at first but then I began making a list in my head: I see her every day; I tell her things I would never tell anyone else (possibly because she could never reiterate my secrets to anyone...well at least not until recently); she sees me cry about things that I would never let anyone else witness; she cheers me up when I am down; and, for goodness sake, she is one of the only human beings I get to interact with and talk to on a daily basis! Not to mention the fact that we both love to indulge in the occasional hot chocolate and cookie binge.

So we are best friends...at least for another 11 years or so. I will cherish these words forever and cling to them once she realizes I am her uncool mother who embarrasses her and has no idea what life for a teenager is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment